Sunday 21 May 2017

Thomas



To the untrained eye the scene looks like teenage boys playing soccer on the first spring day of the year.  It is warm and the sun bathes them in a light on the tarmac of our parking lot like something out of a romantic painting.  The sun places the boys in relief.  I can see the details of each.  I can see glasses and unkempt hair and that sheen of sweat that develops as they play an organized unorganized game of soccer on their lunch in the spring before classes resume.

He is standing in goal, yelling at his "teammates" to get the ball.  You think he is no different than the other boys but I see what you cannot see.  I see what you have done.

He arrives with no credits even though he should be halfway through his high school career.  A family friend has taken him in and serves as his guardian.  I imagine that guardian is not very much different from you.   The guardian clothes him, feeds him, shelters him.  You would do the same, as a matter of fact, many times you have done the same through your generosity to charities. Most importantly and stunning to me, is when the boy gets his first report card, the guardian writes a note back to me,  outlining the goals for the boy in the next few weeks.

He barely speaks as he enters the classroom, barely looks at me.  Over the semester he improves.  He never misses a day; keeps his head down and works.  Towards the end of our time together, he writes an essay about his former life.  It is everything I can do to not put my arm around him.  You gave me a chance to teach him in a small class.  You provided a place for him to recover some of the things he lost.

He takes steps forward, he moves some steps back.  I see the boy over the next year and half in the hallways.  He is sometimes by himself but we make sure he is never alone.  He fails some courses but seems to dust himself off each time.  He keeps at it, keeps working.  His guardian keeps an eye.  His teachers take special care to build him up.  You funded his counselor and his special classes and you allowed the system time to do its work.

I see him on this beautiful spring day playing soccer with a group of friends.  He will leave us soon, graduating and moving on to challenges, to a world of growing opportunity.  All of us should be proud of his accomplishments.  You should be so pleased about your support. You, as a citizen, have saved this young man and you did it because you believe that everyone plays a role in supporting public education.  You will be rewarded with an educated young man who will one day be your neighbour, your friend.

And I, I will miss a spring soccer game in the sunshine.


No comments:

Post a Comment