Sunday 18 June 2017

Dad



They're going to throw the books out.  I suppose I can't blame them.  I was the only one to use them and after I leave they will just be taking up shelf space.

Robert' Bolt's A Man for All Seasons has seen its time in the sun.  I enjoyed teaching the play but it's time to say goodbye like so many things I've been saying goodbye to this past week.  Perhaps its central conflict, a man trying to be true to himself, when the forces of church and state are pulling at his cloak, is unreachable for today's audiences.  I hope that is not the case but it may be.

If I assigned you to write an essay on the play's lead character, Thomas More, you'd discuss More's commitment to family, to faith, to intellect and to his country.  You'd make the argument that More was able to excel in any venue: public institution, private life, church.  You'd conclude with the argument that More was at home with Kings and Common Men but preferred the Common to the royal.

I'm sure I would be stunned with your literary brilliance and give you an 'A'.

I like the play for all the reasons you listed in your essay but I really stuck with the play for so long, not because of its literary merit but because it always reminds me of my Dad.

If you had him as a teacher or as a principal, you knew of his intensity and felt his simmering power. You knew that this was not a man to cross.  Age has softened some of these characteristics but the clarity of thought, the principled approach to life have not faded.

He is quite capable of being at home with Kings but has always found more joy in the Common Man. He has always placed his family at the centre of his life and has a deep, private faith in God.  His love of country literally brings him to tears. He has faced times in his life where he had to adhere to his own principles when forces wanted him to bend to their wills.  He did not choose these battles but never shrunk from them.  Most impressively, like More, he has remained silent about them.

One of my favorite scenes in the play and one that most reminds me of Dad is where More exhorts a character "Be a teacher" he says and when the character asks who will know if you are a good teacher, More replies "your students, your friends, your family, your God.  Not a bad audience that."

Literary characters give us comfort because, as Northrop Frye says, they remain like "Giants in Time." They are a constant in our lives, teaching us what to avoid, what to move towards and how to live.

I've been most fortunate to have giants at school and one at home.








1 comment: