Monday 5 September 2016

At Christmas, they ask "what did ya get". On Labour Day they ask, "who did ya get".

I was nervous 30 years ago today.  I had laid out my tweed jacket, a corduroy tie and slacks (yes, slacks) and tossed and turned in my bed as I waited for what was to come.  That was my first Labour Day as a teacher and today is my last.  After 30 years, there's still some nervousness, maybe a little bit of trepidation but really more of a feeling of anticipation of so many "lasts" to come.

Many things have changed; I've lost the jacket and tie, and the slacks.  Replaced them with more casual clothing.  I've lost my hair, some more of my eye sight and even an inch in height.  I've gained weight, perhaps gained some wisdom and gained Google.

Everything has changed except teachers, students and learning.

Harry Bruce wrote in his classic essay "Labor Day is the dreaded bell in the school yard of my mind", people don't ask on Labour Day "what did ya get?"  They ask "who'd ya get?"  And for good or for bad, millions of students and thousands of teachers will enter the class room tomorrow wondering "who'd I get."

So teachers, on this my last Labour Day of anxiety, my last sleepless school eve, here's who I hope you get.  I hope you get a student who is a character; one who makes you laugh even when you are trying to keep a straight face.  I also hope and know you will, meet a student who will wow you with his or her abilities and brilliance.  I hope you meet some students that you make a difference to and that they tell you about it years later.  I hope you meet some colleagues that make you want to be better. Finally, I hope you meet at least one student, and again, I know you will, who you don't reach, can't figure out and ultimately fail at helping.  That student will make you a far better teacher next Labour Day.

And students, on this the eve of my last first day, after having spent 48 years in a school, and having seen the best of teachers, both as a student and a teacher, here's the teacher I hope you get.  I hope you get a teacher who errs on the side of kindness.  I hope you get a teacher who sees you for the person you are and the one you will become.  I hope you get a memorable teacher, a character that you never forget.  I hope you meet a teacher this year who makes you see something new, one who awakens something you had no idea was in you. I hope you meet a teacher who pushes you so hard, you get angry.   I hope you get a teacher that you laugh with and one who says hello, who calls your name all the time, who you admire and respect, and who listens to you.

The clothes are laid out for tomorrow.   The back pack is packed and ready to go. Now it's only a matter of being the people we hope we get.



22 comments:

  1. Cannot believe it's been 30 years since you started teaching and we moved on as students from our U of T days! Well written with lots of emotions for me too. As our student bball coach at St. Mikes I think we all taught you patience!! Well done my friend you have touched so many lives in a positive way!! Warren Edgar 8T7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Warren. It means a great deal to me. Oh, that first team taught me more than you will ever know.

      Delete
    2. This is Nelson. I hope you havent forget about me. Well the only thing I know is that you are a great teacher and I am glad I met you in Sacred Heart. 30 wow so fast.

      Delete
  2. Here's to you Dan and here's to your last first day. And here's to the lucky students and teachers that get you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to you Dan and here's to your last first day. And here's to the lucky students and teachers that get you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. de Souza,

    This is wonderful. I'll be following your adventure this year. I have a copy of As For Me and My House, held together with an elastic band I might add, sitting on my shelf. I still think of your class often. Grand wishes to you this year! - Stephenie Murphy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph! Let's hope my blog will be kinder than Mrs. Bentley's diary!

      Delete
  5. Thank you! It's going to be a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Dad! You have impacted so many students lives through both teaching and coaching, I am lucky enough to be one of those students. Can't wait to read more coach! -Your favourite daughter Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! Let's both have the best year ever!

      Delete
  7. As I've been accustomed to expect when you "speak", words of wisdom. What's most wise for me is what isn't mentioned....the subject of student evaluation. You've reminded me that teaching is infinitely more about valuing the student as person rather than it is about evaluating the student's work as object. Have a great last first day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely! Thank you. Let's have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm looking forward to reading this during your last year and picking up some words of wisdom. It's going to be a great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ryan...hope I can live up to the expectations.

      Delete
  10. Last year was my mom's last year of teaching and she kept a huge chart-paper calendar on the side of the fridge with a big X for each day. Every family occasion you’d see the whole year, stripped down the X’s and boxes, and it all looked manageable, straightforward... foreign, even. It has been a surprising joy to retire vicariously, so I will be following the blog with interest.

    This Labour day was perhaps the easiest sleep I've had before school in my career to date. I suspect because somehow knowing my mother is not doing this job anymore has put an end in sight for me: one should not share an occupation with one's mother. Even receiving her “I’m retired, happy first day of school”, tongue-in-cheek email made it all easier to me.

    When I was your student you gave me my glimpse of the torch, and there's something empowering knowing it will soon be mine to catch and fumble and become the ones who led me, the ones I hoped to get.

    ReplyDelete
  11. James, if I am passing the torch to someone like you, we are on the rise. Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great 1st post on your last first day Dan. You must realise your impact on our community overflows beyond the four walls of your physical or virtual classroom. You are a trusted and valued colleague and leader in our school. I look forward to reading about your journey this year, especially blog entry 9. That one will be tough. BTW please email your size for clothing so I can pick out a nice tweed jacket, corduroy tie, and some slacks for you to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan. Blog 9's going to be the toughest. You could never find the slacks I had back then...yikes.

      Delete
  13. Wow. Your final year. The end of a generation. I am a teacher because of you and have tried to emulate your pedagogical genius. Will continue to read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, you're the next generation and we are in good hands.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully written and inspirational. Enjoy this year's journey!

    Jeff T

    ReplyDelete